9 responses

1. Jamie
    April 4, 2016

Join a masters group! It helps!

2. Dana
    April 4, 2016

So lovely and thoughtful, Christine. I used to swim also and finally did some laps again at the community pool this summer and felt like a return to something I thought was long last. Have you read Lidia Yuknavitch’s memoir, The Chronology of Water? It’s beautiful and excruciating in its honesty. She was also a competitive swimmer, and the water was where she always felt the safest.

3. BETH SASS
    April 4, 2016

You would never know you were the Champion in the 500 freestyle at high school STATE.
    NOR would you know you went to Junior Nats, OR HIGH SCHOOL MEET IN FLORIDA…OR
    SPEEDO MEETS…..or lettered at UW-Madison Kids looked up to you more than it seems you realize.
    Wishes for lots of happy memories coming back as you go back and forth…back and forth!!!! It does not
    matter how good you are as much as you give it your best…..then again, that is where the
    obligation comes in and the enjoyment goes away because you are such a perfectionist!
    Love every minute of your back and forth……glad to hear you are back in the water…..I was
    not even good as a competitor in the pool and I LOVE back and forth…back and forth in the
    water! ENJOY EVERY SINGLE MINUTE OF IT!!

4. Lori
    April 4, 2016

Swimming is my zen as well. I know I’m not fast, I don’t do flip turns and I don’t even know how to do anything other than free. But I love it all the same…at least I did before I entered training…but it done now (race Sunday). Thankful to recapture the quietness of it, wear no watch, no times matter, just me breathing rhythmically, stopping when I wish. I’m so happy you didn’t quit, it’s so hard to begin, the stiffness and awkwardness of it all, but you described it perfectly when all of sudden, it just becomes smooth. Good stuff.

5. Deb Johanknecht
    April 5, 2016

I thought of your parents while I read your words… And thought of how much they would enjoy reading this. Then I read your mom’s comment… So much well deserved love and pride!

6. Samantha Merel
    April 5, 2016

I was a swimmer in high school, and I get exactly what you mean here. It’s been years since I’ve been in a pool for any reason other than fun. Even when I was nursing a running injury I found something else to do. “Anything except swimming,” I would think. This has inspired me to get in the pool. It might be time for me too.
    Samantha Merel recently posted…Right Where I Left ItMy Profile

7. Kat
    April 6, 2016

Love your comparison of swimming to writing and I can relate in all ways. Maybe if we focus on the process (the back and forth, the act of putting words down ) we will focus less on the competition and comparisons?
    Kat recently posted…Year of Pulses: Slow Cooker Pinto Beans – ColoradoMy Profile

8. Nina
    April 11, 2016

Such a great parallel. And I relate 1000% on how I feel about the “safe” space of my blog versus writing to build resume and all that. “career.” The blog was my first public home and still feels special and mine all mine.
    Nina recently posted…How to Host a Big DinnerMy Profile

9. Laurie Stone
    April 15, 2016

The water sounds so nice. Funny how we end up going back to where we started… and its still right. Thanks for the reminder.
    Laurie Stone recently posted…Waving Goodbye to my FatherMy Profile